Sunday, May 13, 2012

my mom is kind of a big deal

In case you didn't already know that I have the best mom in the world, last week she visited Boston and blew me away with her kindness. She came to help me with sewing in my Fashion class. We all know that mom's never just do the minimum. She also cried with me over a broken heart, nursed me back to health from a virus, made dinner for my roommates, went sailing with me, went to the temple with me, and inspired my students. She's an incredible mom. She's a big deal. I've spent some time reflecting on the divinity of motherhood this past year as I have taught child development. To me, there is nothing more sacred, more precious than spending time with a child. I have been incredibly blessed to be a nanny, an aunt, a teacher, a volunteer, and a counselor to hundreds of children and youth. I can only hope that the skills and attributes I have obtained through these experiences are preparation for my own posterity. However, we don't all get that chance in this life for reasons unexplained. I find this an excruciating reality, but there is one thing that brings comfort. We are all mothers. I truly believe that women were put on the earth to "raise" the world. The word raise is an action word. It means to uplift, to hold high, to bring up. What does this mean in the life of a child? To me this means that every single solitary time I interact with a child, I must bring positivity to their life. There is nothing more exquisite than a child's laughter. There is nothing sweeter than watching a child look at the world with wonder. There is nothing more cherished than teaching moments. My life is more invigorating when I live it through the eyes of the children I am so very blessed to interact with. To all of the mother's who have shared your children with me, I thank you for that gift. Thank You for being such incredible examples, and thank you for giving me the opportunity to "raise". To my own mother, Thank You for teaching me how. Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

Andi said...

Beautifully said, Holly! You are amazing!