Wednesday, August 15, 2012

there's nothing better...

than grilling on a summer afternoon. I'm in madly love with it. Did ya hear me? In. Love. (wish I could say that about a man, but we're working on it). There are so many delights that you can grill, from vegetables to fish, to pizza, to pineapple. The possibilities are endless. I may or may not be obsessed with this medium of cooking,  just a lil' bit. In South Africa we called it Braai. Same thing. No matter what you call it, relish in it. It's amazing. Below are some of my best grilling tips.

1. Clean your grill out completely every year. One man's ash is NOT another's treasure. Trust me on this one.

2. Oil all of your food before you put it on to prevent sticking. Lighter oils such as grape-seed (found in large quantities at whole foods) work best. Take one of those cool brush thingies (you know we all love those) and paint your food. It's fun and I guarantee it will save you the sad face from when your food could have been perfect but isn't later.

3. Chicken=low heat and slow. Beef=high heat and fast. Simple.

4. Only flip your food once. For all of you flip happy grillers out there, I have a message for you. You are losing the juice and the flavor! All food has sugar in it, which sinks to the bottom of your food and seals in the juice during the grilling process. Please for the love let's keep that juice and flavor in that burger and only flip it once. You will thank me later.

5. Experiment. You just might be surprised that you can grill a variety of things items, such as strawberries, or lasagna, or s'mores.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Thanks for the awesome grilling tips - I can't wait to try them!