Saturday, April 17, 2010

spring cleaning

Along with the blossoms and blooming flowers, there have been a number of changes in my little life. I moved back to Salt Lake. For those who have stayed with this blog for a while, you know that I move...a lot. Maybe this is because I like change, or the chance to renew myself through the refining process of change, or it could just be that when an opportunity presents itself, I take it? Haven't figured out which yet.

I was nervous to quit my job in Connecticut in this economy, but I have to say that it was a great decision. I came back to Salt Lake and decided that I would not take a job unless I was 100% sure it's what I wanted and would benefit my career as a teacher in the future. After interviewing for several jobs in my field, and turning down a couple of offers my patience paid off. I begin working as a Teacher/Parent Consultant for Head Start on Monday. Finally, the degree I earned at the University of Utah will be used, an I will get Health insurance and all of that good stuff. I figure if I am going to teach teenagers in a high school how to be Early Childhood Educators, I should probably get more practice myself. Head Start is a government funded program which provides Early Childhood Education opportunities to low income families. I like that part of it, because I believe that much of what we learn and come to understand about our world happens in our Early years (0-5). I anticipate that my job will be a challenge, but it's important and I believe in it.

Next month I will continue with my Masters in Secondary Education and expect to graduate after student teaching next spring.

Because my job at Head Start is only for the school year and I have summers off (which is the best thing about being a teacher in my opinion), I decided that I would like to spend July-August doing something else I am very passionate about which is cooking. I am going to be the Chef at an International Summer Camp in New York. I have a deep love for the campers who come from all over the world. They are teenagers who come on scholarship to seek leadership opportunities within the camp. Camp Rising Sun also has a humanitarian element, which I love, and it is the reason I was able to travel to South Africa and have so many opportunities to travel all over the world. I owe them! Mostly I am excited to get back into the kitchen and cook for the boys! I get to plan all of the menu's and create cuisine from every region with a variety of spices, what's better than that? I can't think of anything else I rather do for a job. I feel very blessed to have the opportunity.

It's going to be a busy year, but I am happy with the opportunities that have come my way! I am going to get my bum off the couch and my hands off the computer and go enjoy the sunshine! Happy Spring!

6 comments:

Ruby said...

Congratulations Holly. Sounds wonderful. I love how you always follow your dreams. Good for you!!

SusieQ said...

Hooray! Hooray! I'm so glad Barry found you! I told him you were in NY, but I had forgotten you were back in SL. This is even MORE perfect than I thought!

Nades said...

Spring Cleaning is always a good thing! Keep following your heart and your dreams! You are a special spirit! XOXO

Unknown said...

Congratulations it sounds as though you have hit the jackpot. My daughter is a teacher but she has decided to come out of schools and go into training instead, so she now works for a training provider. We have something similar in the Uk but we call it 'Sure Start' and my daughter did work for them while she was at uni. Are you sure you are not my daughter... Enjoy your job and your life.
www.beverleylovestosew.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

You're doing awesome things! Love you lady!!!

Anonymous said...

酒店經紀
禮服酒店,
禮服公關,
酒店領檯,
華麗夢想,
夢世界,
華麗夢想,
夢世界,
酒店經紀,
酒店工作,
酒店上班,
酒店打工,
禮服酒店,
禮服公關,
酒店領檯,
華麗夢想,
夢世界,
酒店經紀,
酒店工作,
酒店上班,
酒店打工,
酒店工作,
酒店上班,
酒店打工,
禮服酒店,
禮服公關,
酒店領檯,
華麗夢想,
夢世界,