Friday, January 25, 2008

Food Therapy

Throughout History, the pineapple has been used as a symbol to express the sense of welcome, good cheer and human warmth.


January in Connecticut looks like the lone and dreary world that you see below...


unlike the Pineapple, this first month of the year for me is NOT welcome! I'm officially ready to say goodbye to the winter blues. Instead of seeking out self help books or medicating myself for depression I decided to take this bull by the horns and cook my toes off. Cooking is the only therapy I need. There are the obvious instant gratification benefits of cooking but because I am a sensory person I also find relaxation in chopping vegetables and I think the home feels cozy when I smell a chicken roasting. It's okay, you can call me a food geek if you want to.



I've also found that have this nagging need to be creative and for life to be full of pretty colors and delicious accessories. Enter...salads and flowers. Salads first.


Yesterday I tried this new salad with roasted mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and baby mozzerella on a bed of arugula with truffle oil and balslamic vinegar for the dressing. I savored every single bite!



To make my living space more desirable I bought perfect plum purple tulips. Having fresh flowers in the house lessens my distaste for winter and gets me pumped for Spring. Warm weather, frisbee and rollerblading can't come soon enough. But if you are like me and share my sentiment about winter (meaning you really could go without it with the exeption of snow on Christmas morning, I highly suggest you try this new form of therapy I invented. Just a couple more months of cooking my toes off and finding deals on fresh flowers to arrange in the house!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Yay cooking - and cooking healthy :-). And brightening up the winter - I avoid it by living in warm climates.