Saturday, August 2, 2008

one month

from today I will be leaving Connecticut. I can't believe it! It's been awesome living here in Greenwich (pic of town to your left) although I can't quite say I could ever call this town "home". Saying goodbye to my adorable Maxwell, Madeline and Marshall is going to be tough, but I am so delighted about what is ahead of me in South Africa. Tonight I curled up with the kids and we watched High School Musical (love it) and ate chinese food. My fortune cookie read, "A wise person cares not for what he can't have but for what he can" I think it is easy to fall into that trap of not embracing the awesomeness of your life because you are worried about the future (which you don't know) or what you don't have in it. Even if this post is only for me, I shall follow the advice of this fortune and do my best to take in all that life has to offer right now and the people that are in my life everyday. I would be foolish not to take advantage of seeing life through the eyes of sweet Marshall, who is seriously proof that heaven exists. He's not even mine, but children teach me so much and I can't ever imagine not being around them. To counteract my previous, very sarcastic "no seriously, i'm awesome" post I just want to say how much I have been blessed by doing what I do for a living. I know I will be equally blessed by the children at the orphanage in South Africa or teaching cooking classes to kids in Johannesburg. I am a really super lucky girl and I seriously, pretty much have the most awesome life ever! I don't take for granted all the wonderful children I have been blessed to work with or the opportunities to travel the world. I am fortunate in so many more ways than I deserve. And, now I am going to end this post before I start boring you by just listing them out. Oooooh, and speaking of which, "Breaking Dawn" is totally good so far. I have only had it a few hours and am almost half way through. Edward has captivated me once again! Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Morrena Harris said...

Holly, my heart will be with you these next twenty some days. Saying goodbye is not ever easy, but my prayer will be that the children will know you are sincere, and that you did fall in love with them and part of your heart will always be theirs. I feel that way about Matt and Jen-they stole my heart too. MOM

Steven said...

Holly, can't wait for you to come home it will be fun to see you again it has been way too long. I also wanted to just say that it is hard to read the text on your page. The color is to light with the white background. Just wanted to give you the heads up.
Love ya Steven

w and w said...

So sad we'll miss you. Can you believe how many children you've touched already in your life? And to think you're going to touch so many more...? Maybe we should just skip the whole Law/Business school thing and just skip on over to S.Africa for some cooking lessons. Annie and Will know it too well, I could use some!

Ashley said...

Holly, you are truly amazing!!! Your blogs are incredible and you look absolutely fabulous!!! I love and miss you and hope your future travels go extremely well. Take care and come to Erie on your way home to Utah or sooner! :) call or email soon.
Love,
Ashley and boys
PS where is the marriage poll? Our vote is for Jessica and then you!

Jenny and Josh said...

Holly! My sister and her family just got back from living in Joberg for 6 months!! I am sure she would love to answers any questions you might have about Joberg or South Africa in general since they did a TON of traveling while there. You can contact her through her blog: www.six-in-2006.blogspot.com if you look in her older post you will see all of their adventures in So. Africa. Can't wait to see your adventures!

Jenny and Josh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny and Josh said...

p.s. if you take a look at her blog the South Africa adventures are from August 2007 to February 2008. They were very involved in an orphanage in Joberg, and posted pictures of their time with the kids.

Ruby said...

Holly, this has nothing to do with this post but I am going crazy. I have taken up your typing speed challenge and every time I type eventually it just says undefined undefined undefined undefined undefined undefined. I think I am just too fast for the test. It can't keep up with me :-)

No seriously, I would love to know what my speed is now.